Saturday, September 17, 2005

Beneath Heaven lies Hell. Beneath Hell lies THE CAVE!

This weekend I headed to Fukue to spend the weekend with Alistair. All I expected was a relaxing weekend of drinking, but how wrong I was! This evening after dinner with the other westerners on the Island, Mike, an South African english teacher, suggested caving! It sounded fun, I thought it would be some nice little safe caves that were easily accessible. So, nine of us headed to the other side of the island to check it out, equipped with motorcycle helmets and torches. As we walked down the steps into the cave we clambered over two giant signs saying (in Japanese) DANGER, DO NOT ENTER. I began to feel quite nervous at this point, and felt very foolish only wearing flip flops and summer clothes, plus a motorcycle helmet. So we all trundled in and I think it's not so bad, just like a big tunnel with a small walkway, nothing to worry about. Then 5 minutes later we get to the real cave entrance.....with a super giant sign that was roughly translated as DANGER, GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE, DO NOT PASS, DEATH LIKELY. At this point I start to feel a bit edgy, and wonder why I'm doing this, yet like a lemming, I continue. Once inside the cave most of the floor is coated in clay, meaning it was extremely slippery, plus there was lots of rocks. Some areas had massive boulders to clamber over from rock slides, which was the biggest danger for us! It was a slight nightmare keeping upright, climbing rocks and avoiding the many bats inhabiting the cave. Pippa (one of the ALTs) got pretty scared and zoomed ahead in a bid not to be crushed by giant rocks. I didn't have that luxury as ever time I tried to move faster than a pace a minute I nearly fell on my bum. It was amazing though, and the bats were really cute. There were also snakes and giant centipedes in there, Kowai (scary). Anyway, I made it to the end, feeling quite proud that I didn't die or fall over. When we arrive though Pippa (who literally did run ahead, informs us that the exit is too overgrown to get out. For a moment we nearly had to go all the way back....I nearly cried! Thankfully Mike knew the way through the thicket and I was quite glad to get in the open air! We were all covered in clay and it was nearly midnight, but I was glad we had done it, more exciting than the pub! Anyway, I'm having a great time here, with scooter action tomorrow the fun never ends! The people on Fukue ae really cool and it's a pretty island.

School girl error

This week I have made quite a number of school girl errors. It begins with wearing a white top with a black bra underneath to school. I was late getting up and in my rush just didn't really think about what I was doing. That was ok though, not a major mess up really. However as the week progressed I also had my bank card eaten, woke up late and was 15 minutes late for work, and embarrassed this poor poor child at one of my schools. I am only thankful that the rest of the week has been very very good.

I started a eikawa (adult conversation class) run by Sierra. Me and Melissa went along and it was really good fun. The students bring loads of food for you and they are all lovely. I'm holding my first dinner party for three of the teachers at my base school in two weeks, thought I should show I appreciate their kindness.

Anyway, here are some random photos from Alistair, they are the ones he took in Fukuoka.

I wouldn't ask!

This me and Alistair on the night when we stayed out when everyone had gone to bed. It started to rain so we took shelter in a random car park.

Alistair eating a sandwich at 3am in the car park.

Canal City water display, Fukuoka

Will, me and Jen collapse on the streets of Nagasaki after a heavy night drinking.

Anyway, enough of the random photos

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUZANNE, I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you had a great day, and thanks cristin for the comments, good to read the Japanese. Would love to have you out here as a fellow JET. Will call soon and I'm sure you're having a great time.

2 Comments:

At 11:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an exciting weekend. Wish I was there...

 
At 2:29 am, Blogger Icciv said...

Cool, you have class from 2 till 5! No western telly but you can get sky, so busy though. Can get videos though. Missing you so much, and will phone soon, Vicky xxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home