Monday, August 29, 2005

Reggae beach bash - can't beat it

Right, so I have free time apparently. I was actullay going to attempt some work, but as I went to move away from the computer my kocho-sensei said 'no,no, sit down, free time', so I have to write here, I was instructed too.

I spent Friday in Kitauonome elementary school being filmed! For one of the classes they have made an awful video of me reading this book 'Brown Bear' I wouldn't have minded but I had to do 4 versions: the 'me holding cards version', the 'me reading book version', the 'me holding book in front of me and turning pages version' and finally the 'me holding card and not saying colours version'. Yes, it was even more boring than reading that last sentence. I also had to hold up flags and say the countries name 4 times, very slowly, and do encouraging interludes of 'your doing really well' and 'lets learn together!' while pointing at the camera, or just waving my hands in an eccentric manner. The teachers then showed the rest of the staffroom the video, ah, the joys of Japan!

On Friday night Alistair came to visit and me, him, Catherine ad Lori went to Georges pub. It was such a funny night, as George loved Alistair, and kept hugging him and telling him how great he was, and calling him Alex. My name has now been shortened to Vic by George, which is pronounced Bic in Japan, great! Anyway, George spent some time telling me not to get a Japanese man for sex friend, but as a boyfriend, and that all Japanese men want is sex friend, so be careful, bless! He also held Alistairs hand and asked him if he wanted man love! (he is joking, the guy is married).

The next day me, Alistair and Catherine travelled to Sasebo, another exciting ferry journey where I slept. It was freezing and the blankets were too thin so had anice chat with Catherine! Catherine headed to Fukuoka to meet a friend adn me and Alistair went for lunch, and then met the rest of the group in town. We decided to start drinking at Jens place, and then head to the beach later. We bought 3 bottles of shocho (only a fiver a bottle!) and were all feeling quite drunk by 8 and headed to the free shuttle bus to get to the beach. It took about 40 mins to get there and Alistair and Will snuck in! The rest of us paid and got free drinks etc. Anyway, the night was very entertaining. First we mingled and downed a bottle of sangria and then me, Jen and Will climbed on stage and danced, me and Jen were dancing in a very sophisticated manner, and muct have looked abit ridiculous next to the raunchy Japanese girls in tiny skirts!! As we had stood quite far back I thought no one could see us, but the rest of the night people kept on approaching us and commenting on our dancing, oh the shame.

A Japanese guy approached me and Jen and insisted me follow him. I chatted to him in my basic Japanese and he introduced us to his friend. It became clear they were only interested in one thing, so we decided to move on. I gave the first guy a hug and he carried me across the beach and insisted I kiss him! Was quite amusing! A great deal of the night was spent up at the more isolated area of the beach where me, AListair, Will and Jen played in the sand and stole Wills ninja pants! Then Will got back on stage alone and started prancing round the stage and then got on this tiny bicycle and rode around the stage! He looked crazy!

At about 4am it started to rain really heavily and we decided to head home. Everyone had to sleep in Jens one room apartment, which meant 9 of us originally. Miles and Will decided a car was the best option, and went there instead. It wasn't too bad, I shared a blanket with Alistair and used a beanbag as a pillow, was so tired I just slept in my clothes.

The next day I had no hangover thankfully (otherwise ferry journey may have been awful). I rang Carrie who had been staying with Matt after her trip to Tokyo. We all headed to the ferry together, adn again I slept the whole way and woke up to Carris trying to give me an eskimo kiss has the boat docked. She offered to take Alistair to Narao port (on the otherside of the island) to catch his ferry home so we had a few hours to kill. Me and Alistair watched Red Dwarf and Bill Bailey, was nice to actually watch some comedy with somebody.

Last night me, Carrie and Melissa headed to Lori's and caught up on gossip and ate together. It was nice to get together again. Next week I have 2 enkai's and then another the week after, should be interesting.

I start teaching on Thursday and I'm very nervous, going to lesson plan somemore now! Also, I have been invited to a wedding! My social studies teacher is getting married in October, will ahve to find a dress to wear!

2 Comments:

At 9:29 am, Blogger Icciv said...

Oh yes, the dilemma begins again, but this time I have to dress a bit more on the conservative side, and shop in Japan!

 
At 1:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Kieran here!
Found your blog through my mate Ryans! I love Red Dwarf! glad to see I'm not alone in Japan in that respect.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.....What a guy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home