Thursday, August 04, 2005

From drinking in Tokyo to working in Nagasaki-Ken

Hello! I have been wanting to make an update for ages, but I'm currently in school using the internet connection here so this entry won't be as great as I hoped. I have loads of photos from Tokyo and the island to put on, but that will have to wait until I get a bank account and can get the internet at home. Anyway, I'm having an amazing time!!! This is a rough account of what has happened over the past two weeks (ish).

The flight

I nearly missed it! Ironically I had arrived about 4 hours ahead of schedual as me and my mum went to London the day before. I had checked in early and, and even went into the departure lounge way before I had too. In departures I met a fellow JET called Isobel, and we decided that the pub was the best location to wait before the flight. At what we thought (and what Isobel had read on her her 'no numbers' watch) was 7 O'clock, Isobel went to buy cigarettes. Half an hour later I asked the time, which, we discovered with panic, was 8.30, the time of the flight!!! We ran with all our luggage to gate 23, only to be told the flight had gone! Thankfully it was the wrong gate. We had to get to gate 24, and we made it on the second to last bus, so with good time to spare really. It was still very scary.

Once safely on the plane the flight was good. I slept for a good 6 hours much to the envy of the other JETs. The ability to sleep anywhere is such a good skill to have. I also watched Kung-Fu Hustle, which is a very good film. Before I knew it I had landed in Japan, and was pushing heaps of luggage through the airport.

Tokyo orientation at the Keio Plaza



The five star hotel we stayed in was (apparently) opposite the hotel used in the film 'Lost in Translation'. It was so nice, and I was sharing a room with Jen, a fellow Brit and Nagasakian, who I got on really well with. When we first arrived (at about 8pm), me, Jen and Isobel heading to find food, and luckily bumped into the crowd I hung around with at the pre-departure orientation. They had managed to recruit a TOA (a JET whos been there a year or two already and is helping at the orientation) called Luke who spoke very good Japanese. He found us a restaurant in Tokyo (the dodgy part I believe but it seemed very nice) where it was all you can eat and drink for 15 pounds (no pound sign on silly computer).



The start of the meal, look at the beer!


A plate of lovely fish! I did try some, and it was lovely



This is me, Suzie, Gemma and Ryan. We all met in London, and Ryan's blog is on the links and we keep in touch, he's a really cool guy and I hope to visit him (he's near Tokyo). Obviously Suzie is now one of the Brit crowd.


This is Steve in the middle eating slime, whose in Hokkaido (otherside of Japan) he's a really nice guy and is currently the lead singer or a tribute band to Busted with his new japanese friends!


This is Isobel, the girl who nearly made me miss my flight to Japan. I got on with her really well and we hung out alot in Tokyo. I have to admit I haven't emailed her yet, but will get in touch soon. Will is the guy in the background.

I love this picture, it's so funny. Ryan and Suzie posing amusingly for me after a few drinks.

The drinking continued and led to the inevitable, KARAOKE!!! To be honest, this was the formula for most the nights out. Drinking, singing, commenting on how well we all get on and how Matt was sick on the first day (good story that deserves to be told when I have more time).
This photo is of all the people from the first night of karaoke, so much fun!!!

These are from the second night prefecture event;

Here is Aaron, Will and Alistair singing together. Aaron hung out with us loads in Tokyo, but we lost him once he reached Nagasaki.

Here is me and Suzie getting ready to do some singing

This is me and Aaron on the last night. He's in Omura and was at the sasebo beach party last weekend. He's a cool guy and he's from Newcastle.

The conference itself was informative, and the food was good, except breakfast (which I only made it too once) which included chips and vegetables!!! Once I have my photos I will put more detail, but this will have to do for now. Anyway, a good group of us merged who were mainly heading to nagasaki (quite lucky really) and we are already planning to meet up soon.


Reaching the Island

There is so much I want to say here, but i have already been on the internet far too long and should be at my desk pretending to look busy. The island is beautiful, and I love it here already. I feel very settled and comfortable, and everyone has made me feel so welcome. The other ALTs (assistant language teachers) are really nice, but all very different, it's going to be an interesting year!

I have to leave it here I'm afraid, I've already been on too long and I've probably bored half of you anyway. Also my phone battery died and won't charge becasue I dont have a step up convertor. THis is mainly aimed at Cristin and Suzanne who I REALLY want to call but can't. Please guys can you email me your number.

I promise to write more soon, and to include pictures, but anyway, hope everyone is ok at home, and Japan is amazing!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home