Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Farewell to Fairfield Stores

Today is my last day at work. I've been working in a corner shop about ten minutes from my house since the start of the third year, and I've really grown to love the place. Obviously my move to Japan means I had to hand my notice in, but it is sad to be going.

Working at Fairfield really helped me to settle at Lancaster, and it has been such a great place to work. I worked quite a lot of hours over my time there (which could be seen as foolish being a third year) and I've become a familiar face to the regular customers. It's really made me feel part of Lancaster itself, rather than just the student community.

When I first moved to Lancaster I was really aware of the student/local divide, which is made even more visible as the university campus is a 20 minute bus ride away. Although there was no real hostility between the two groups, as a student, it was hard to feel part of the community. Moving off campus in the second year helped, but working at Fairfield really made me feel part of the town. I think after living somewhere for three years you do start to really settle, but as many students move back to campus in the third year I doubt many of them really feel part of Lancaster the town. I think this is a real shame, but I do understand why some people feel the need to return to campus in the third year. The rules at Lancaster Uni. originally stated that everyone (except special cases) had to move off campus in the second year, and that third years would be allocated on a first come first serve basis. This has now changed. With plenty of new and very expensive accommodation being built, staying on campus is open to all students, including second years. I think this is such a bad idea, surely the idea of student life is about learning to look after yourself, live in a new town, pay bills, cook by yourself and clean. Living on campus is just like living at home but without the parents! You don't pay bills, you have a cleaner, you rarely have to see 'locals', and everything is close and under cover.

Ok, I admit, I can see the attraction to the on-campus bubble, but I think everyone has to experience at least one year away from it. To me, university wasn't just about a degree, but about learning to live alone. I feel that living on campus was great in the first year, as you need some security to begin with, but you also need to learn to step out by yourself. The university seems to be more focused on making money than ensuring students experience life outside of campus.

Anyway, my final shift is 1-10.15, then it will all be over!

1 Comments:

At 10:22 pm, Blogger Rhys said...

It's quite wierd. In Liverpool I live on Campus, but not many student's do (they live a few miles away). We actually live around a lot of locals, and don't see many students around us.

I'm glad I don't live near students as I wouldn't feel safe (the student area gets a lot of trouble, whereas we really don't).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home