Thursday, August 11, 2005

My first Cockroach

I met with my first cockroach in my house last night, just as I was going to bed. For some reason the little thing was in my bedroom (well the doorway) but I don't know why as I have no food up there, maybe its been eating my hair! Anyway, I killed it, and remained calm, and just went to bed. Ogoshi-sensei (the Japanese teacher) said she would take me to the shop to get some roach traps, but I don't want to attract more. Oh well, cockroaches are part of life here, I will meet a few, but if I keep the place clean it should remain the odd visitor rather than a house full. Poor Carrie has met about 8 so far (maybe more) and is having an on going battle with them, the posionous centipedes and the jumping spiders (which I actually quite like). Anyway, bugs aren't the end of the world, and in a month or so they will all be dead for winter.

Quite looking forward to the week ahead, apparently I'm getting my internet connected tonight (though I doubt it will be up and running till I'm back from Nagasaki). I'm also being taken (ketai) mobile phone shopping with Melissa and her JTE, so should be connected and able to call people again soon. Tonight I have to clean my house and get ready for the Goto island block party, but I dont mind a night in as I spent a bit too much money last night at Georges Bar. Anyway, on Friday there is a fesitival at Uonome Elementary (I think) with Fireworks and fair ground games, the Kocho sensei (prinicipal) of my base school is taking me so that should be exciting. Saturday is also a busy day, there is Dragon Boat racing in Urakuwa which my Kocho-sensei is also taking me too, and I'm either having lunch after with another elementary school principal and his family, or they will be at the boat race with us. Nothing is ever really that clarified!! Anyway, Saturday evening is the Goto block party, which is all the ALT's from the Goto islands (there are five islands) coming to our island to eat, drink and sing. Anyway, people are staying between mine and Melissa's house, so I will have a house full (hopefully with no cockroaches though). Then me and Alistair (also on the Gotos, the biggest Island though, mines the second biggest) are heading to Fukuoka, yey!

I have actually got to sort hotels in Nagasaki tomorrow, or we will all be on the streets or in overpriced love hotels. Oh dear, this is what happens when you take the organiser role, foolish me!

Anyway, I'm in work again (there are 2 of us in the staff room at the moment due to holidays so I'm using the internet a little more) and it's not going too slowly. Lunch time soon, I love my bento box, the staff find it hilarious that I buy the same one every day, but its yummy; chicken, rice, broccoli, and sauce, yum! Actually yesterday was quite embarrassing, after lunch I was given what looked like a small balloon filled with ice cream. On end of the balloon had a thin tip, and you cut off the top and suck the ice cream. I was the only person having one, and I start eating it, but before long my lips are freezing so I keep stopping. The teachers were saying 'no,no, you have to keep it to your mouth'. Well I don't believe them, it seemed fine, no ice cream was spilling anywhere. Until halfway through, when an air bubble pushes the ice cream, and I just notice in time but still dribble loads of ice cream everywhere. The teachers think its the funniest thing ever, and I can't stop laughing while trying to mop my chin and hang my face over a bowl. My lips are freezing but the ice cream never stops, I start to believe that it's a secret form of tortue, and one of the teachers looks in the dictionary to say 'It is an interesting experiance', 'no kidding' I think, smiling and nodding. It took about 10 minutes to eat, honestly. I'm never eating one again! But I think I'll buy it for everyone who comes to visit, mwahhahahaha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home