Thursday, April 20, 2006

A typically British update

There is nothing particularly eventful going on in Kamigoto at the moment, or maybe there is but with not being able to read a newspaper, I wouldn't know. The only news I do know is that today is very windy and the waves are so big the ferries have been cancelled. There is also talk of nuclear waste being buried here in order to bring more money and jobs to the area. I strongly oppose this and have been discussing the options with my teachers when I can. Maybe I'll start a petiton.

Today was a very typical day, though I did start P.E. class which was great. I did feel slightly weird about having to sit on one of my students feet while they did sit ups, though I think she felt just as strange about the whole thing as I did. I have two P.E. classes next week and I have to do hurdles. I've never done hurdles and I have images of myself lying in a crumpled heap cursing my return to school organised exercise. I spent lunch break in the library with my san nen sei students trying to do magic eye (which I have no talent for these days) and seeing how much hiragana I can read.

My parents are currently visiting for a week. It's lovely to have them both here and I'm excited about our trip to Nagasaki on the weekend. It will also be my first trip off the island for maybe three weeks and I'm looking forward to the break. I love it hear of course, but we all need a change sometimes.

Sexy for Summer died a quick death when it became evident that we are all either too busy, poorly or lazy to meet up and scrutinize each others weight loss. I still feel the initiative was a positive thing as I've lost 11 pounds since it started, removing myself from the 'clearly obese' catergory and into the 'just a tad fat' bracket instead. I still have a good 14 pounds to shed before I reach the 'could be deemed as normal weight' category. I've given up any hope of ever reaching the 'very thin and sexy' grouping...I've become a realist these days.

I have a Japanese boyfriend who's maybe as much use as a chocolate teapot. I'm not entirely sure how much longer I'm going to be with him but he's very pretty, and I'm fickle like that. He says some wonderful things to me. The most recent converstion that springs to mind follows;

Genki: If you are an animal...you would be (pauses and thinks). I know, I know, you would be that long creature, like a snake but thin and smaller. It doesn't have a face.
Me: A worm?
Genki: I don't know what it's called in english. Its pink or green and it crawls.
Me: Lives in the ground? Doesn't like rain? Birds eat them?
Genki: Yeah, yeah, thats it.
Me: A worm.
Genki: Yeah, you would be a worm (proceeds to do an impression of a worm by pulling the skin on his face tight and wiggling)
Me: Great...

This reminded alot of my conversations with my shogakko students (thats primary school). Though the impression of the worm did make me die laughing. Problem is, I want a man who can do a funny impression of a worm...but also discuss sociology history and politics with me. Obviously not at the same time, that would just be bizarre, seperately is fine. Am I asking for too much?

On a final note, the weather today as been fine, but windy. It looks like it may rain later but fingers crossed it's clear tomorrow as my parents are being driven round the island. I'm starting to believe it will never be hot again and that the exceptionally hot summer from last year was a figment of my imagination.

Ta ra

2 Comments:

At 11:04 am, Blogger Sierra said...

It will get hot again! Don't worry about that! But the weather this spring has been crazy wet and windy! It's raining again now!!
The heat will come and we'll just be wishing for cool weather again!!
Enjoy your parents!
Sierra

 
At 6:09 pm, Blogger biginkyiv said...

A worm? I wouldn't really consider a worm and animal. More like an insect, I suppose, but hey.... Anyway, I'd like to hear why he likened you to a worm. That's just strange. If I had to say what animal you reminded me of, I'd say it would be a wild horse, but I'm not sure why. That just popped in my head. Have fun with mom and pop Coddington.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home