Monday, March 27, 2006

Read all about it!


As my JTE keeps on telling me my brain has melted. There are maybe a million and one things I want to write about, from recent events to grand narrative sociological speculations, but I can't. A combination of no time, the wrong facilities and not really being able to portray how I feel right now without getting a little personal...means that my blogging abilities have been sapped.

There is, however, big news on the island! Many changes are on the horizon and it means things are going to shift a little. Here is an update on recent events;

Teachers going and coming; As I wrote recently, now is the time when teachers are sent elsewhere and new people are brought in. At my base school I'm losing both the Head and deputy head teacher, and two other teachers. I think it's been hard for everyone, people were even crying in the staffroom today. Even I cried at the farewell enkai on friday when my head teacher said I was like a daughter to her. There are also people going from my other schools, people who I'll miss, who made work all that more entertaining. I'm happy that some of these teachers are returning to their families, and I know I'll see some of them again. Change isn't always a bad thing, and though I'm sure my new teachers will be lovely people, certain people will be difficult to replace. Tomorrow I head to the ferry port to wave teachers away. This is one of the first times I've really been sad in Japan.

An ALT down; It had been rumoured for a while that Sierra would not be replaced next year, and yesterday it was confirmed . So next year we will be down to five! Catherine and Lori will also be leaving but should be replaced. It's a way to go before they leave yet, but the news was a surprise.


More Goodbyes; Sanae and Yuki will both be leaving at the start or April and end of March respectively. Again they will both be missed. Sanae is heading to London to study business english, and Yuki is returning to Tokyo to go back to university after a break this year.

General news; I recently went on a four day trip to Honshu to visit my friend Ryan .
It was my first time flying alone and my first ever time on the shinkasen (super fast bullet train). On travelling to Fukuoka it suddenly dawned on me that I had no idea of how to get from the airport in Nagoya to the train station, no map, and that it was the fourth largest city in Japan. To add to my stupidity I realised I had no contact number for Ryan! I had to call Carrie and get her to e-mail Ryan from my account and give him my mobile number. Thankfully he called that evening, and I was also quickly adopted by an old Japanese man and women in Nagoya who showed me the way to the shinkasen. I was very unimpressed (in a British unsatisfied with everything manner) by the shinkasen, which was just a fast train, and didn't seem worth the amount I'd paid!

Numazu is the city Ryan lives in, and is very close to Mt. Fuji, infact the area itself is very much at risk of earthquakes, tsunami and volcanic eruption, which was good to learn during my stay. I had a brilliant time though. Me and Ryan are both equally good at talking excessively, and it was nice to talk about a range of things, from politics and sociology, to day to day life. The other ALT's in the area were also really lovely and it was great to have such a relaxing break. The Izu area near by was exceptionally beautiful.

Sexy for Summer has dwindled recently, but mainly as most of us have been travelling or ill. I have managed to start losing weight and I'm also avoiding the daily cakes and sweets thrown my way at work. We should all be back on track come next week when holidays have finished and other activities are not so pressing. I have foolishly offered to join P.E. class at JHS, though god only knows why. I hated P.E. at school and my desire to get fit must have warped my mind when I asked if could join in. I'm just hoping the kids don't laugh at me too much...oh dear, what have I done.Here is the Sexy for Summer folk near the end of our hike up a local mountain...well I say mountain...its really a hill, but a steep hill!

Anchi (a bar/grill me and Lori tend to visit alot) has been closed down, which is sad. Ipei and Shin chan worked there and it was always fun to visit them. Ipei is also our local hairdresser, and I'm hoping he'll cut my hair next weekend. We are currently on the search for a new hangout! Me and Ipei on my birthday.
Lori and Shin-chan.

Finally, to end on a more uplifting note, the cherry blossoms have bloomed here. It's a sign of spring, warmer weather and parties, and hopefully their early start is a sign that good things are on there way. Catherine, Melissa and myself had a picnic under the sakura on Saturday, and they are possibly one of the most beautiful things in Japan.





News story over.

1 Comments:

At 4:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cherry blossoms are beautiful! You are lucky to live in such an amazing place with such stunning friends!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home