Thursday, March 09, 2006

Two little ducks.

Well today it's my birthday, and I'm turning that slightly dull age of 22, which means you're not young but neither are you old. You're just in a meaningless age where by you should learn a little bit more about where you are heading in life, but not feel compelled to make any rash decisions. On an up note 22 is also my lucky number, and whether that will mean this to be a special year who knows.

You may be wondering what a birthday in Japan is like. Well, at 1 o'clock this morning I was sat in bed thinking 'It's my birthday...and it just feels like another day'. I was filled with a feeling of unsatisfaction....that in Japan christmas and birthdays were meaning less without the people from home who love you. To be fair my last birthday was perfect, it was a great night with friends and Emma made me a headgehog cake...a HEDGEHOG cake...you can't ask for more! So, I was a little dissapointed with my birthday prospects in Japan. How wrong I was.

My birthday started in a lovely way, I was in a restaurant in Arikawa with Lori and Andy, and we had spent the whole night talking to a five year old girl. We decorated balloons for her, and played games, and she was soooo sweet. When it hit midnight I had completely forgotten it was my birthday until the owner of the restaurant brought me over a box of chocolates for my birthday. As always, I'm so overwhelmed by peoples kindness.

My day at school was also lovely. I was given cards by some of my students at chugakko and I had a great lesson with the second years. After lunch I was taken away to elemetary school and given cake, flowers adn some lovely cards. My favourite card read like this;

"Congratulations on the birthday of Bikke and 22 years old. Seven months have passed sice it (me) came to Shin Kamigoto. It might have been a lot lonesomely. However, come to like us. We love bright, lovely Bikke"

I was very touched to read something so lovely, and was really happy.

I was taken out in the evening by my good ALT friends, Yuki, Andy and Genki. We went to a lovely restaurant and played bingo and I was given so many lovely presents. After the meal we went to Karaoke where Ipei, George, Mieko and Shin turned up and many drinks were had. I had a wonderful birthday and left feeling so happy. So now it's one O'clock, 24 hours later, and I can honestly say I had the best birthday I could ask for. Pictures will follow tomorrow of gifts and celebrations. I had a great time, and right now..I love Japan.

Can I also thank Grandma and Grandpa and Aunty Barbara and Uncle David for their wonderful gifts...they made my birthday even more special.

1 Comments:

At 11:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Vicky .
i really enjoy reading your blog. Happy birthday and hope the rest of your time in Japan is as good as it has been so far.
love n' hugs
mark (still dreaded!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home