Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A time of change

I got back from a weekend away on the day my teachers heard the news of transfers. Teachers in Japan usually get transferred every 4 years. It's a method of change that ensures teaching practice doesn't become stale. If you are a teacher from the mainland you have to do four years on an island, and if you are a teacher from the island you have to do four years on the mainland. I found that this system had been beneficial for me as an ALT on an island that had become accustom to change. With people from the mainland only living here for 4 years my temporary status was not unusual and I felt that made the community warmer towards me than maybe an area where people rarely change. I was, however, aware of the downside that teachers could change this April, and how that could affect my life. In my base school, I thought I would be losing only two teachers, and though it would be sad to see them go, I wasn't close to them. One of the people I was close to though, was my Kocho-sensei. She had made me feel exceptionally welcome from day one on Goto, taking me to festivals, events and coming over for dinner. She had always been warm and caring, and taken the time to make sure I was always included in school activities and events. This year was only her second at Uonome, and everyone was sure she would be here another two years..but today I found out she is being transferred. I can't describe how upset I feel about this, and that maybe Friday will be the last time I see her. I took for granted that she would be at the school during most of my time on Goto and I wish I hadn't.

I always believe that everything happens for a reason, and I only hope she is tranferred closer to her family who currently live in Nagasaki. I will be sad to see her go, and only hope that life doesn't change too much with the new school year. All I can say is thank you, and hope she knows I will never forget her kindness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home