Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Time to give up.

Yes everybody it's the start of Lent, 40 days and 40 nights in which Christians traditionally fast and give to charity. Being brought up in an increasingly secular country means that Lent is more of a cultural traditon than a rule. Shrove Tuesday is still a day where most families make pancakes, and people still give up some unhealthy activity or donate money or time to a charity over Lent.

Being in Japan didn't stop me from eating pancakes on Tuesday. I introduced this British tradition to Melissa and Carrie last year and was happy to snack together again last night. The pancakes did look more American than British, but lemon and sugar still worked as my favourite topping. Anyway, pancakes aside, Lent has begun and it's time to give up something. I'm giving up a range of things this year, but the most important thing is worrying. I worry all too much these days. I don't know where this bad habit has come from (mum!) but it's useless, time consuming and annoying.

Unfortunatly I've found giving up worrying to be very difficult so far. Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to kill off my worry bugs?

2 Comments:

At 9:51 pm, Blogger Sierra said...

I'm wondering what you're so worried about?!?

I have a few ideas, though...

Recognize the difference between things that need a good dose of worrying and things that are out of your control.

If after doing that, you have a "valid worry," then perhaps you do need to take the time to contemplate the subject, but do so thoughtfully and intentionally. Get a pen and paper and write down what you're thinking; write your options. Forget it for a night or a weekend to do something fun or relaxing. Allow yourself a specific amount of time to for forget about it. Then once you come back and look at what you wrote maybe the answer will be more clear.

And, if it's one of those things that is out of your control, but you're still spending a lot of time thinking about it, then it's easy to see it's not productive. When you feel yourself starting to worry about those things, try to find a comfortable place, take a minute to be quiet, assess the situation--and accept your lack of control, breathe deeply and tell youself to let go.

Perhaps you could try some mediation, too.

 
At 1:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Vic

For what its worth, whenever I get worried I always think of statement, popular in the late Black U.S civil rights movement:

"Seize the time!"

If I ain't doing that, then I ain't doing right!

Later

J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home