Monday, August 07, 2006

The greatest school days.

My last trip to Tsuwazaki primary school before next September was one of the best school days I've had so far. This is one of my tiny primary schools, with only 13 children it's always so much fun to teach. The day before I had been sent the lesson plans as usual, but when I reached school I was informed the plans had changed. My first and second year class would be cooking instead! I was really happy to spend 3rd and 4th period making donuts with the three students that make up the class.

Here are the students from the class rolling the dough.

Next was cutting out the donut shapes.

Good Job Everyone!

I'm given the responsibility of cooking...check out that apron.

The children and all the donuts they made.

Kocho sensei's wife, me and the students.

Me, the grade teacher and the students.

After the donuts were made we practiced colours in English, and played a game of shop! The cards were written in english to help the students practice a little.

Here is the shop, a fruit stall really!

How much!?! Oh dear!

My new purse filled with money the kids made for me.

This is the shopping list I wrote for the kids...What did I want for lunch?

Shopping can be hard work!

After cooking and shopping and sampling a donut or two, we ate lunch. After lunch we all played football in the gym, but I didn't play very well. I joined in as much as I could though! Before lunch Kocho sensei's (Head teacher) wife had mentioned that we would do calligraphy after lunch break. I assumed she meant with the students, and was happy to be invited along. After lunch break I found out it was just myself and her doing calligraphy and Kocho sensei teaching us (mainly me). It was really good fun, but difficult.

Here I am practising under the supervision of kocho sensei.

Here I am holding my first attempt, and my final attempt.

I practiced for maybe an hour and a half, and I was happy to see some improvement.

I really enjoyed it, usually after lunch I have nothing to do. This is going to happen every afternoon I go to that school now. I've been given a special book for myu calligraphy and everything. I'm writing in hiragana by the way, and it says Ichigo, which means strawberry. You have to start small! I can't wait till my next visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home