Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A situation, a festival, and a fond farewell.

I finally met with the inevitable in a wintery Kyushu that lacks central heating, and caught a cold. Not enough of a cold to warrant a sick day, just one that gives you a constant runny nose and makes it more difficult to breath, taste and hear. I decided against taking life easy and resting all weekend though. I spent Friday night at Catherines, and with a Japanese class and a visit to see Sierra it was a nice evening. She was going to visit George on Naru for some 'bike action' the next day, so I left hers relatively early and spent an hour on the bus back home. When I returned home I faced a situation.

As you all well know, last weekend I held another Goto bash, which was extremely successful, except one thing. Outside it STANK. The sewer appeared to be over-running slightly, and when you flushed the toilet it didn't smell that pretty either! Melissa's house was having a similar problem, and we thought maybe there was a small blockage. It didn't effect the party too much though, and things continued well until a week later. So, the Saturday after the party, I return home from Catherines, use my toilet, and find it won't flush well. It's hard to relate to this as Japanese toilets are different, but basically, the flush works in that you push a button, water comes out, and a little flap on a hinge succumbs to water pressure and everything drops into the tube leading to the 'sewer'. Except the 'sewer' isn't a 'sewer' at all, instead it's a tank. Let me repeat that, A TANK.

You may be wondering 'How did she find this out?'. Well, let me tell you. First, the flap at the bottom of the toilet got stuck, and wouldn't come back up. I thought it was a blockage, I mean, 21 people had been using the facilaties last weekend. Though after a fight with my toilet brush, I changed my mind (I know this yuk, but at least you only have to read it). I decided to investigate! First I lifted the 'sewer' lid outside the house...and it was full...and I'm eternally grateful that I had lost the ability to breath through my nose. Secondly, I knew the house at the end of the block was empty, and at this point I suspected we could have the tank system, so I figured this tank would be empty. I lifted the lid, and low-and-behold there was only a tank, with one pipe leading from the toilet. I tried to persuade Melissa to visit her teachers but she (understandably) insisted on showering first. In the mean time Sanae (my Japanese friend who works at the bank) came over and I dragged her over to the neighbours to learn the truth.

The truth was a) Yes, you have a tank system b) It should be emptied every 3 MONTHS. Every 3 MONTHS man, I've lived here 6! I can't believe this escaped my supervisor's mind! My predessesor didn't live in this house (otherwise she DEFINATELY would have told me, she was exceptionally good with everything else. If there was a 'Best Predessesor' award she would have won it) and so we were never told. I had to use Melissa's toilet all weekend (which thankfully wasn't quite as full as mine because of the party and she got here a week later) and it smells horrid outside...I can't believe no-one told us! Thankfully today my JTE's wife phoned and got the tank pump people to come and empty the tank. Though they can't do Melissa's until next week, I'm not sure how to break the news to her.

Despite the dire toilet situation, life went on as normal. I had a festival for one of my Elementery schools, Tsuwazaki, on Sunday. This meant getting up a 6am (makes me shudder thinking about it) to get my 7am taxi and reach work at 8. the festival was good though. I successfully spun poi, and the kids performed an interesting play about a raccoon disguised as a cabbage entering the vegetable triathalon (I swear the play was about this, I understand enough Japanese (food theme you see)to get the gist). At lunch time I looked like a tramp, as all I had for lunch was a cheese sandwich (eaten out of a plastic bag), two bananas and a litre bottle of Natchan (like orange squash) that was only a quarter full. This maybe wouldn't be so bad in Britain, but in Japan the average lunch box (bento) in neat in presentation, and contains no sandwiches. I got many stares, and one teacher gave me a strawberry and persimmon (neatly cut) out of pity. I was thankfully given a glass for my juice, and didn't have to drink in true tramp style, out of the bottle. It was a fun day anyway, and a good way to meet some of the students parents.

Last night there was an leaving enkai for Blaine. Blaine was an ALT here on Kamigoto ten years ago, and after his three year stint he was married and in love with Japan. He returned a few times, but this has been his longest stay since he was an ALT. He was given a fulbright scholarship to do his PhD in an anthropological study on the island. Now it's coming to the end of the scheme, he has to return to America, so we got together to say goodbye. Blaine had been an excellent support for us newbies, and we were all sad to hear he was leaving so soon. The party last night was small, consisting of the BOE ALT's (Lori, Melissa, Catherine and myself) our supervisor, the head of the BOE and three Aokata Elementary school teachers. It was a great evening, with plenty of drinking, speeches and great food, and after the first party we went to the Deputy Mayors house for udon, fish (with amazing dressing) and ice cream. It was really sad to see Blaine get a little bit teary at the end, and it made me realise how difficult it will be when I come to leave.

Blaine officially leaves on Saturday, and many people (including us ALT's) will gather at the Ferry port to say goodbyes. Before that though, there is still fun to be had, with Lori's birthday celebrations on Wednesday (and also a day off for me, YEY) and then a possible trip to Nagasaki for the lantern festival. There should be plenty to report...and if you were wondering how the list was doing...it's getting there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home