Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Smoker? Well heed this warning!

While on my travels to Kumamoto I spotted this informative poster about smoking. In the UK we are bombarded by anti smoking adverts and campaigns thats are hard hitting and a little gruesome at times. However, in Japan, the issue is dealt with in a calm way that points out how smoking is annoying while walking. If you click on the picture below it should enlarge to show the text....which just amused me while we waited for a train




Anyway, I love theme parks! Me and Will went to Kumamoto city on Thursday and I have to admit that a big factor in us choosing there was the theme park! I happened to really love Kumamoto city anyway, it was big, bustling and full of atmosphere. On the Friday we headed to Omuta to get a bus to Mitsui Greenland (the theme park). We had to wait for a while in Omuta for the bus so I took pictures of the dragon there.

The whole museum was about the culture of the dragon!

We eventually got a bus there, and it was great! A better theme park than I imagined with loads of really scary rides, and then loads of activities inbetween, such as crazy golf, archery, and rifle shooting. These were included in the wrist band we bought at the start so everything (except food of course) was free. We went on most rides, scary and slow, except I bottled out of the haunted house....it was weird! Here are some pictures anyway.



Here is Will, on a table, with a bear....looks happy eh?


Will smacked the ball out of the golf part, but he played it where it lay. He actually won this game....but I won the second.


Here is a nice shot of the theme park, the ferris wheel was cool, but a tad scary as it had a see-through bottom!

I have to admit I made Will go on this ride to take this silly shot...he was not happy. Though all the rest were his own suggestions.

Will enjoys another childrens ride!

Here is the cool transport between two ends of the park, though Will was a little too tall for the end.

We had a great time, and the weather was great, I even burnt! The rollercoasters were quite an adventure and the spin mouse was great. The car racing was equally amusing though I thought Will would make us crash at one point. We went home at 5, park closing, and then we went for dinner.

We found this random international bar that reminded me more of Ibiza than Japan, it was weird because it felt so foriegn and it was empty. We got pizza and I drank many cocktails.


Will shows his happiness at finding guiness in Japan

I enjoy the cocktail fuzzy navel!

The place didnt liven up, and I don't know why we stayed there so long! Probably the good cocktails. The music turned to this depressing teenage angst music from America where this whiney boy was singing 'Give me my photographs'. Uch, horrid music, and me and Will had to leave then! We wandered around for a while until it got too cold and then we went to bed. It was fun, we were just shattered from the days activities.

The next day we went to the castle in Kumamoto. It was so beautiful, and another lovely day. It was only 10 minutes walk from the hotel, but it couldnt be a more different place. It felt so calm in the castle ground in comparision to the city.

Here is the statue of a Japanese warrior near the entrance of the castle.

Here is the view of a small part of the castle from the bottom walls. These huge walls surround the castle.


Here is a very big tree, that Will is pointing out for me.


Here I am sat under another tree, this is on the path up to the castle.


Pretty flower arrangments.


This is the tower, it's opposite the castle, we started there. You had to take your shoes off to go in.


Here is the view of the castle from the tower.


This is the opposite view.


This is the castle, apparently it's where they filmed the Last Samarai, but I'm not sure about that.

Here is the beautiful view from the top of the castle


Here is a view from the front, long way to fall yeah!

It was a really relaxing day, just what we needed after the day before. Many of the signs were also in English which is a big help. Some random men wanted me and Will in a photo, which is sweet...if a tad odd. After a few hours we started to head back. We came across this culture thing, and they were serving noodles for 1,000 yen, it was yummy and different.


That night we had dinner, then went shopping and read in bed until night


Will point out the very early christmas lights.

Finally here is Will looking silly on the street.

Anyway, the two of us had a great time (though I am speaking for Will). There were many laughs anyway. I got back to Sasebo for 3.20pm on Sunday and then met Catherine for the trip home. The ferry was packed out, and me and Catherine had to sit upstairs, outside. It was colder again!

Here is a lovely view on the way home.


Ok, I thought it was so pretty I took it again, with a boat.


Here is Catherine showing how windy it was on the boat.


Here the both of us are, using the camera as a distraction from the cold.


Here is the view from the ferry later, this is what is was like for an hour.

When we got back we went to Carries house for dinner, and Lori wanted to try the kids bike!




border="0" alt="" />

Anyway, work is over and I have to go. Will finish this tomorrow but I am still happy! Yey, so much to look forward too.

1 Comments:

At 2:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you both had a fun time! The theme park sounds well good, and the castle looks beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home